About University of calabar,faculties, notable alumni, objective.
The University of Calabar is a university located in Calabar, Cross River State, south-south Nigeria. It is one of Nigeria’s second era government colleges.
The University of Calabar was a grounds of the University of Nigeria until 1975. The engineering was planned by John Elliott.
It was built up by pronouncement to satisfy this conventional order, its aphorism “Information for Service”.
The Vice Chancellor is Prof. Zana I. Akpagu. Prof. Florence Obi at present holds the situation of DVC (Academic), and Prof. Ndifreke Udonwa DVC (Administration).
The Registrar is Mr. Moses O. Abang. Mrs. Beatrice Igwe is the University Bursar, and Dr. (Mrs.) Nkoyo Edem is the University Librarian.
The University of Calabar was one of the chief Nigerian Universities to robotize undergraduate’ enlistment forms through the school Portal.
It has made a stride further to mechanize her graduated class relations which incorporates an online transcript demand and handling first of its sort in the country.
The male undergraduates are known as Malabites, while the female understudies are Malabresses. The male lodging is called Malabo.
This was a consequence of difficulties looked by the understudies at once which concurred with the enduring experienced in Malabo by Nigerian deportees from Equatorial Guinea (whose capital is Malabo) at the time
Objectives of university of calabar (unical)
(a) To empower the advancemen of information and learning and to hold out to all individual without considering race, doctrine, sex or political conviction the chance of getting liberal instruction.
(b) To give courses of guidance and different offices for the quest for learning in the entirety of its branches, and to make those offices accessible on appropriate terms of such people as are prepared to profit by them;
(c) To Encourage and advance grant and lead inquire about in all fields of learning and human undertaking.
(d) To relate its exercises to the social and Economic needs of the general population of Nigeria; and
(e) To Undertake some other exercises proper for a University.
Unical has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculties of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Arts
- Institute of Public Policy and Administration
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Biological Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Institute of Oceanography
- Graduate School
- University of Calabar Consultancy Services
Affiliations of university of calabar
- Nigeria Christian Bible Church
- Reformed Theological Seminary, Mkar
- Catholic Institute of West Africa, Port-Harcourt
- Essien Ukpabio Presbyterian College Itu, Akwa Ibom State
Amongst the alumni of the University of Calabar are:
- Chile Eboe-Osuji, who is the current International Jurist and also President of the International Criminal Court, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Godswill Obot Akpabio, who was governor of Akwa Ibom State and Currently a senator.
- Okezie Ikpeazu, the incumbent Governor of Abia State.
- Queeneth Agbor, an actress
- Biko Agozino,
- Isabella Ayuk,
- Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, an actress
- Ini Edo, actress
- Reuben Abati, a legal practitioner and a writer
- Stacey B. Day, Ntufam Ajan of Oban
- Omotu Bissong, model/show presenter
- John Odey, former minister
- Chukwuemeka Ngozichineke Wogu, minister
- Osita Izunaso, politician
- Ita Enang, politician
- Victor Ndoma-Egba, politician
- Stephanie Okereke, Nollywood actress
- Owens Wiwa, human rights activist
- John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, politician
- Aloysius Akpan Etok, well known politician
- Uche Jombo, movie producer, director and also actress
- Alex Ekubo, Nigeria based actor
- Iyanya, Nigeria artist